Best Laptops For Video Editing – After spending hours in researching laptops, discussing with many creative professionals, and testing the worthy contenders, we found that the Dell’s XPS 15 is one of the best laptops for video editing for most original work. The Dell XPS 15 has the most dominant processor and graphics card—and is the best of the class color accuracy and extensive color gamut—of any Windows laptop we’ve tested. Also, it has fast 4K Ultra-HD rendering speeds, all the necessary ports, and the best keyboard and a good trackpad. It’s also lightweight and ultraportable for those who love to work while traveling.
If you’re a professional looking for a laptop that can complete demanding tasks—including video/photo editing, graphic design, programming, drawing, game designing, and audio production—on the go, you must get what we call a powerful laptop or a lightweight ultrabook. Check our list of Top 10 Best Laptops For Video Editing.
Check out the table list of Best Laptops For Video Editing below and share this list with your friends, family or loved ones.
Best Laptops For Video Editing Laptop Name Laptop Rank Laptop Rating ASUS ZenBook UX550VE-DB71T 1st 9.5 out of 10 Dell XPS 15 2nd 9.4 out of 10 Apple 15″ MacBook Pro 3rd 9.3 out of 10 The Razer Blade Laptop 4th 9.3 out of 10 ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 5th 9.2 out of 10 Acer Aspire VX 15 6th 9.2 out of 10 Acer Predator Helios 300 7th 9.1 out of 10 HP Omen 15t 8th 9.1 out of 10 MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 9th 9.0 out of 10 Dell Inspiron 15 7000 10th 8.9 out of 10
Best Laptops For Video Editing – List
ASUS ZenBook UX550VE-DB71T 15.6-inch NanoEdge FHD touch Laptop (Core i7 Processor, GTX 1050Ti, 16GB DDR4, PCIE NVMe 512GB SSD, Windows...
1 used from $1,499.77
- 15.6-Inch 178 degree wide angle view Full-HD Nano Edge touch display with Windows 10
- Latest 7th generation Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core 2.8 GHz Processor (Turbo to 3.8 GHz)
- Fast storage and memory featuring PCIE NVMe 512GB SSD with 16GB DDR4 RAM with NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI, 2x USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen2) with Thunderbolt, 2x USB Type 3.0 Type-A, 802.11ac WiFi, and SD Card Reader
Dell XPS 15- 15.6" Ultra Thin and Light Laptop with 4K touch screen display, 7th Gen Core i7 (up to...
2 used from $1,199.00
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
- 16 GB DDR4-2400MHz up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
- 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive
- 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Apple 15" MacBook Pro, Retina, Touch Bar, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Space Gray, MPTT2LL/A...
- 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
- 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
- 512GB SSD storage
- Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
The Razer Blade Laptop 14" Full HD IPS Display, Intel 7th Gen Core i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, GeForce...
2 used from $1,599.66
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 256GB PCIe SSD and 16GB RAM provides desktop-grade performance in a laptop for even the most intensive gaming - even on the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive
- Get the best out of your gaming experience with an incredible 14" IPS full HD Display so you can create a fully immersive experience
- The Razer Blade is one of the world's most advanced gaming notebook with Chroma anti-ghosting keyboard and killer wireless AC
ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 15.6” Full-HD 120Hz Ultra-portable Laptop, GTX 1070, Intel Core i7, 256GB PCIe SSD, 16GB DDR4
1 used from $1,999.77
- Ultra-thin and ultra-light with a thickness of only 0.7" (with the lid closed) and weighing only 4.9 lbs
- Next-generation performance with GeForce GTX 1070 8GB with Max-Q design and Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz Processor (Turbo up to 3.8GHz). Windows 10 Pro. 120Hz Panel
- Quiet and cool featuring ROG Active Aerodynamic System which improves airflow by 40% and reduces temperatures by 20% compared to conventional cooling. *Actual cooling performance varies due to system and environmental conditions
Acer Aspire VX 15 Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 15.6 Full HD, 16GB DDR4,...
1 used from $1,499.77
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (Up to 3.8GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen IPS display
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 16GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD
- HDD upgrade kit available (2.5" bracket with SATA and power cable). Contact Acer support for your complimentary kit.
Acer Predator Helios 300 15.6" Full HD Flagship Premium Laptop PC, Intel Core i7-7700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 32GB RAM,...
3 used from $1,129.99
- 32GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD; 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM; 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (2.8GHz Up to 3.8GHz)
- Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, Aggressively Designed Metal Form Factor, Secure Digital (SD) card reader, Backlit Keyboard, 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0, Webcam
- Battery: 4-cell lithium-ion, Color: Black, Windows 10 Home, 1.1" Thin, 6lbs Weight
HP Omen 15t Notebook (Intel i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 15.6”...
- Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6MB Cache, 2.8GHz-3.8GHz) 45W
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Hard Drive: 256GB NVMe Solid State Drive + 2TB 5400rpm Hard Disk Drive
- Keyboard: Full-Size Island-Style Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Display: 15.6" Full HD IPS 120Hz Display with NVIDIA G-SYNC (1920x1080)
MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro-422 15.6” Ultra Thin and Light Laptop i7-6700HQ NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6G 16GB 1TB Full Color Keyboard...
- Display: 15.6" FHD, Anti-Glare eDP Vivid Color 94% NTSC | Resolution: 1920x1080 16:9
- Processor: Core i7-6700HQ 2.6-3.5 GHz
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6G GDDR5
- RAM: 16GB (8G*2) DDR4 2400MHz | Hard Drive: 1TB (5400RPM
- Special features: VR Ready | Full Color RGB SteelSeries Keyboard | Nahimic 2 Surround Sound Audio Enhancer | True Color SRGB | Cooler Boost Trinity | Windows 10
Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series Edition 7577 15.6-Inch Full HD Screen Laptop - Intel Quad-Core i7-7700HQ, 256GB SSD + 1...
5 used from $699.99
- Powerful 7th-generation Intel Quad-Core i7-7700HQ 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.80 GHz
- 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory, 256GB Solid State Drive M.2 + 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with 8GB Cache
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5, Optical Drive Not included, Backlit Keyboard
- 15.6-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display with IPS technology, HDMI 2.0
- Windows 10 Home (64-bit), 2-in1 Media Card Reader and USB 3.1, 802.11ac Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz
Essential features in a robust laptop (in a rough sequence of importance) are the processor; RAM; storage; display size, display resolution, and display quality; graphics card; quality backlit keyboard and trackpad; weight; battery life; ports; and speakers.
These are some features that you should look for on a powerful laptop. However, the order might vary as per the requirements:
A dual-core processor is a minimum for any productive task, but we recommend an Intel’s quad-core processor for intensive workloads like playing or editing 4K video, 3D designing work, or any other heavy multitasking.
We suggest 16 GB as a minimum RAM for smooth performance while multitasking (mainly if you’re running RAM-eating software like 3D Photoshop). A 4K Ultra-HD video editor and a 3D modifier who frequently perform large scenes told us they need 32 GB RAM nonetheless, so we also picked laptops that have the option to upgrade the RAM.
An SSD (solid-state drive) can read and write data much quicker than a regular hard drive. Having an SSD speeds up any work that requires accessing data, like booting up your device, saving and storing files, or editing video. SSDs also use less power than standard hard drives, put out less heat, and don’t sound awkward, and they’re less vulnerable to mechanical failure. As for the volume of storage space, the more is, the better. A 512 GB SSD is a compelling option for those with huge media collections.
A discrete graphics card has its processor and graphics memory (VRAM) that manages graphics processing and provides the laptop’s processor and memory to control other workloads concurrently. A dedicated GPU is very crucial if you work in 4K Ultra-HD video editing, 3D designing, or animation.
Apple MacBook Pro 15 has a 2880×1800 resolution, which we suppose to be the minimum for laptops under this category. But our analysis and expert interviews showed that many artistic professionals prefer the highest resolution achievable, which is 4K Ultra-HD resolution (3840×2160) for tasks like photo and video editing. This is why we prioritized high-quality laptop displays, with wide gamuts and accurate color accuracy. This means that the display should also be an IPS technology, not TN because IPS panels produce much better wide viewing angles and excellent color reproduction.
Keyboard and Touch-Pad
Even if your work setup comprises an external keyboard and mouse, your laptop’s keyboard and touch-pad should be active and convenient to use for the long duration of time when you want them. A poor keyboard and touch-pad can ruin an otherwise good laptop.
Around 80 percent of the professionals we talked to use 15-inch laptops, and we consider laptops that weigh about 5 pounds with that size display provide the best stability of screen real estate and ultra portability. (We didn’t find mobile workstations because they’re too big and bulky to be honestly portable.)
Most of the video editors, and developers we spoke with requiring a variety of ports on their laptop. Different ports matter to various users, but a couple of USB 3.0 Type-A ports are always useful, and as is an HDMI port. A Thunderbolt 3 port is helpful too, and if you’re a photographer, then an SD card slot will be required, too.
A laptop must have long enough battery life to get you by most of an eight-hour workday, but most professionals we spoke to have their laptops plugged in at all times as most of them work in a fixed location at a time. For this reason, we examined battery life too.
Shoddy speakers can be disappointing, but most of the professionals we talked to use headphones while working. So we examined this, too, but it didn’t affect our picks.
Picking the one ‘best laptop for video editing’ would be unviable. It all depends upon your preferences combined with your usage that determines the one best machine fit for your routine. The above list of Top 10 Best Laptops For Video Editing ranges from ultra-modern graphics cards and SSDs to advanced processors, from 17 inch wide screens too low budget laptop. However, determining which one would be the best from your prospect. Do let us know if you have any suggestions regarding our list of Top 10 Best Laptops For Video Editing by leaving a comment below.
Top 10 Best Laptops For Video Editing In June 2018